Dr. Alhasan is an associate scientist at the Center for Transportation Research and Education. His research interest includes friction management systems, risk based pavement management systems, reliability based pavement design, automated pavement condition assessment, advanced statistical modeling, and multivariable and spatial data analytics.
He is currently involved in several projects including the High Friction Surface Treatment for High Crash Locations in Iowa and the Impact of Curling and Warping on Concrete Pavement, Phase II, where he is developing the algorithms to analyze high speed profiles to quantify the curling and warping in concrete pavements.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, Iowa
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of Akron, Ohio
- BS, Civil Engineering, Hashemite University, Zarqa, Jordan
- Associate Research Scientist, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2017-present
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2016
- Research Assistant, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2013–2015
- Geotechnical Field Engineer, Arab Center for Engineering Studies, 2010–2011
Selected Research Projects
- High Friction Surface Treatment for High Crash Locations, Iowa DOT, 2016.
- Quantifying Road Roughness from 3D Models, Iowa DOT, 2016.
- Application of Terrestrial Laser Scanning for Three-dimensional Monitoring of GRS-IBS Abutments, FHWA and Massachusetts DOT, 2015.
- Use of Automated Machine Guidance (AMG) within the Transportation Industry, NCHRP, 2015.
- Toward Autonomous and Robotic Infrastructure Construction: A Workshop and Field Studies of Productivity, Quality, and Safety Impacts, Caterpillar Inc., 2015.
- Technical Support Service Centers for 3D Engineered Models in Construction and Slide-in Bridge Construction Activities, FHWA, 2014.
- Ceylan, H., Gopalakrishnan, K., S. Kim, P. Taylor, A. Alhasan, and S. Yang. 2016. Assessment of Concrete Pavement Curling and Warping Using Light Detection and Ranging. National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa Transportation Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Alhasan, A., D. J. White, and K. De Brabanterb. 2015. Continuous Wavelet Analysis of Pavement Profiles. Automation in Construction, Vol. 63, pp. 134–143.
- Alhasan, A., D. J. White, and K. De Brabanterb. 2015. Spatial Pavement Roughness from Stationary Laser Scanning. International Journal of Pavement Engineering. Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 83–96.
- Alhasan, A. and D. J. White. 2016. Earthwork Haul-Truck Cycle-Time Monitoring – A Case Study, Midwest Transportation Center, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Alhasan, A. and D. J. White. 2014. Review and Collect Available Information: 3D Engineered Models for Construction (3D Modeling), Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC.
- Alhasan, A., M. P. McGuire, P. K. R. Vennapusa, and D. J. White. 2016. Application of Terrestrial Laser Scanning for Three Dimensional Monitoring of GRS-IBS Abutments. Proceedings of the Geo-Chicago 2016, Sustainability, Energy, and the Geoenvironment. Chicago, IL., Aug. 14–18.
- Alhasan, A. and D. J. White. 2015. Terrestrial Laser Scanning Roughness Assessments for Infrastructure. Proceedings of the Conference on Autonomous and Robotic Construction of Infrastructure. Ames, IA, June 2-3.
- Alhasan, A., D. J. White, and K. De Brabanter. 2015. Quantifying Unpaved Road Roughness from Terrestrial Laser Scanning. Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board’s 94th Annual Meeting, Washington, DC., Jan. 11–15.
- Alhasan, A., A. R. Abbas, M. Nazzal, S. Dessouky, A. Ali, S. S. Kim, and D. Powers. 2014. Low-temperature Characterization of Foamed Warm-mix Asphalt Produced by Water Injection. Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board’s 93rd Annual Meeting, Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, Jan. 12–16.
- Alhasan, A., Ali, A., Offenbacker, D., Smadi, O., & Lewis-Beck, C. (2018). Incorporating spatial variability of pavement foundation layers stiffness in reliability-based mechanistic-empirical pavement performance prediction. Transportation Geotechnics, 17, 1-13.
- Alhasan, A., Smadi, O., Bou-Saab, G., Hernandez, N., & Cochran, E. (2018). Pavement Friction Modeling using Texture Measurements and Pendulum Skid Tester. Transportation Research Record, 0361198118774165.
- Alhasan, A., Nlenanya, I., Smadi, O., & MacKenzie, C. (2018). Impact of Pavement Surface Condition on Roadway Departure Crash Risk in Iowa. Infrastructures, 3(2), 14.
- Adarkwa, O., Nlenanya, I., Smadi, O., & Alhasan, A. (2017). Quality Assessment of Pavement Roughness Data Using Conditional Inference Trees and Data Visualization Techniques Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board’s 96th Annual Meeting, Washington, DC., Jan. 8–12.
- Alhasan, A., White, D. J., & De Brabanter, K. (2016). Wavelet filter design for pavement roughness analysis. Computer‐Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 31(12), 907-920.
- Research Excellence Award, Iowa State University, 2015
- Geo-construction Engineering Scholarship, Iowa State University, 2015
- Professional Advancement Grant, Graduate and Professional Student Senate, Iowa State University, 2014
- Member, Transportation Research Board, Geotechnical Site Characterization committee (AFP20).
- Member, Pavements committee, Geo-Institute, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Member, Computational Geotechnics committee, Geo-Institute, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Associate member, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Editorial member, The International Journal of Control, Automation, Communication and Systems- (IJCACS).