Dr. Jonathan Wood’s areas of research expertise include a focus on research method design and statistical/machinery learning methods with applications in areas such as geometric design, transportation safety, crash testing and vehicle safety, real-world impacts of driver assistance technologies (DAT) and other vehicle technologies, connected vehicle and autonomous vehicle systems, public transportation, and human factors (e.g., driver, cyclist, and pedestrian behavior). His research has developed analytical frameworks for generalizable safety effect estimates, causal inference methods, new statistical models, and practical implementations of research results. He is currently an assistant professor at Iowa State University and works closely on projects affiliated with the Center for Transportation Research and Education at the Institute for Transportation.
Before joining Iowa State University, he worked as a researcher/data scientist for the Ford Motor Company from 2017 to 2020. While there, he was the lead researcher for real-world safety and applied statistics. He led research in guiding policy development, regulation compliance, potential litigation considerations, and strategy development.
- PhD, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 2016
- MS, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Utah, 2012
- BS, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Utah, 2011
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, July 2020–present
- Assistant Professor, College of Engineering, Wayne State University, 2019–2020
- Traffic Commissioner, City of Livonia, Michigan, 2019–2020
- Safety and Sustainability Data Scientist, Global Data Insights & Analytics, Ford Motor Company, 2017–2020
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, South Dakota State University, 2016–2017
- Zhou, D., J. S. Wood, and V. Gayah. 2023. Integration of Machine Learning and Statistical Models for Crash Frequency Modeling. Transportation Letters: The International Journal of Transportation Research.
- Wood, J. S., Z. Yu, and V. Gayah. 2022. Development And Evaluation of Frameworks for Real-Time Bus Passenger Occupancy Prediction. International Journal of Transportation Science and Technology.
- Chen, H., A. Kim, and J. S. Wood. 2022. Adult occupant injury risk in rear impact and frontal impact: Effect of impact conditions and occupant-related factors.Traffic Injury Prevention, 23, No. 4, pp. 176–180.
- Chen, H., A. Kim, M. Shen, and J.S. Wood. 2021. Child Occupant Injury Risk in Rear Impact and Frontal Impact: Effect of Impact Conditions and Occupant Related Factors. International Journal of Crashworthiness, 27, No. 5, pp. 1307–1316.
- Zarindast, A., and J. S. Wood. 2021. A Data-Driven Smart Lighting Recommender System. Frontiers in Big Data, 4, pp. 1–10.
- Zarindast, A., J. S. Wood, and A. Sharma. 2021. Application of Text Mining in Smart Lighting Literature – an Analysis of Existing Literature and a Research Agenda. International Journal of Information Management Data Insights, Vol. 1, No. 2.
- Wood, J.S., and S. Zhang. 2020. Evaluating Relationships between Perception-Reaction Times, Emergency Deceleration Rates, and Crash Outcomes using Naturalistic Driving Data. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2675, No. 1.
- Wood, J. S, and E. T. Donnell. 2020. Empirical Bayes Before-After Evaluation of Horizontal Curve Warning Pavement Markings on Two-Lane Rural Highways in Pennsylvania,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol.
- Systematically Analyze Roadway Safety Problems and Simulate Interventions using Connected Vehicle and Other Innovative Datasets. US, Germany, and China Patents. (Patent Pending).
- Insurance Management System. US, Germany, and China Patents. (Patent Pending).
Professional Affiliations and Service
- Panel Member, NCHRP 22-54, Transportation Research Board, 2022–present
- Paper Review Coordinator, TRB Standing Committee on Safety Performance and Analysis (ACS20), 2022–present
- Member, TRB Standing Committee on Safety Performance and Analysis (ACS20), 2022–present
- Member, Iowa Advisory Council on Automated Transportation, 2021–present
- Panel Member, NCHRP 22-49, Transportation Research Board, 2019–present
- Panel Member, NCHRP 22-45, Transportation Research Board, 2019–present
- Member, TRB Standing Committee on Statistical Methods (ABJ80/AED60), 2017–present