Dr. Wang has a split appointment with the Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering at Iowa State University. She does research on the material properties of portland cement concrete and concrete durability.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1994
- MS, Civil Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences (Beijing, China), 1985
- BS, Civil Engineering, Hefei University of Technology (Hefei, China), 1982
- Chemistry and microstructure of concrete (cement hydration and air void structure)
- Nano-technology and application in concrete (nano-silica, nano-clay and nano-limestone)
- Workability and rheology of concrete
- Durability of concrete (freezing-thawing, alkali-silica reaction, and corrosion of reinforcement)
- Sustainable concrete materials (uses of slag, fly ash, silica fume, recycled aggregate, geopolymer, etc.)
- Advanced concrete technology (self-consolidating concrete, roller compacting concrete, mass concrete and pervious concretes)
- Concrete pavement (mix design, quality control, distress analysis, and repair)
- G. Lomboy, F. Bektas, and K. Wang. 2016. Extended Use of Limestone Fines in Various Concretes. Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Vol. 10, pp. 995–1005.
- Z. Zhang, K. Wang, H. Liu, and Z. Deng. 2016. Key performance properties of asphalt mixtures with recycled concrete aggregate from low grade concrete. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 126, pp. 711–719.
- J. Han, K. Wang, X. Wang, and P. J. Monteiro. 2016. 2D Image Analysis for Evaluating Coarse Aggregate Distribution and Concrete Homogeneity. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 127, pp. 30–42.
- S. Hua, K. Wang, X. Yao, W. Xu, and Y. He. 2016. Effects of Fibers on Mechanical Properties and Freeze-Thaw Resistance of Phosphogypsum-Slag Based Cementitious Materials. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 121, pp. 290–299.
- S. Choi, K. Wang, and J. Chu. 2016. Properties of Biocemented, Fiber Reinforced Sand. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 120, pp. 623 –629.
- Q. Hou, K. Wang, and W. Yodsudjai 2016. A Simplified Model for Prediction of Shrinkage Behavior of High Performance Concrete Containing Supplementary Cementitious Materials. Journal of Thailand Concrete Association, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 1–7.
- J. Han and K. Wang. 2016. Influences of bleeding on particle distribution, hydration products, mechanical property, and water absorptivity of the surface layer of Portland cement paste. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 115, pp. 240–246.
- S. Hua, K. Wang, and X. Yao. 2016. Developing high performance phosphogypsum-based oil-well cementing materials through a step-by-step optimization method. Cement and Concrete Composite, Vol. 72, pp. 299–308.
- M. Elkashef, K. Wang, and M. N. Abou-Zeid. 2016. Acid-treated carbon nanotubes and their effects on mortar strength. Frontiers of Structural and Civil Engineering, Vol.10, No. 2, pp 180–188.
- X. Wang, P. Taylor, K. Wang, and M. Malcolm. 2016. Ultrasonic Wave Propagation Monitoring of Stiffening Process of Self-consolidating Concrete. Magazine of Concrete Research, Vol. 68, No. 3, pp. 151–162.
- J. Han, K. Wang, Y. Wang, and J. Shi. 2016. Influence of Aluminum Sulfate and Anhydrite on Cement Hydration Process. Journal of Materials and Structures, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 1105–1114.
- G. Lomboy and K. Wang. 2015. Semi-flowable Self-consolidating Concrete and its Applications. International Journal of Materials and Structural Integrity, Vol. 9, No. 1–3, pp. 62–71.
- X. Wang, K. Wang, J. Han, and P. Taylor. 2015. Image Analysis Applications on Assessing Static Stability and Flowability of Self-Consolidating Concrete. Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 62, pp. 156–167.
- J. Han, K. Wang, J. Shi, and Y. Wang. 2015. Influence of Triethanolamine on Hydration and Microstructure of Cement Pastes. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 93, pp. 457–462.
- Q. Xu, K. Wang, C. Medina, and B. Engquist. 2015. A mathematical model to convert isothermal heat evolution to adiabatic temperatures with validation for cementitious materials. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 89, October Issue, pp. 333–338.
- X. Wang, K. Wang, J. Tanesi, and A. Ardani. 2015. Effects of Nanomaterials on the Hydration Kinetics and Rheology of Portland Cement Pastes. Advances in Civil Engineering Materials, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 1–18.
- Wang, X., P. Taylor, K. Wang, G. Morcous. 2015. Using Paste-To-Voids Volume Ratio Evaluating the Performance of Self-Consolidating Concrete Mixtures. Magazine of Concrete Research, Vol. 67, No. 14, pp. 771–785.
- N. Garg and K. Wang. 2015. Estimating Efficiency of Fly Ashes: An Alternative Definition of k-Values. Journal of Sustainable Cement-Based Materials, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 25–33.
- G. R. Lomboy, X. Wang, and K. Wang. 2014. Rheological Behavior and Formwork Pressure of SCC, SFSCC, and NC mixtures. Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 54, pp. 110–116.
- J. Han, K. Wang, J. Shi, and Y. Wang. 2014. Influence of sodium aluminate on cement hydration and concrete properties. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 64, pp. 342–349.
- J. Han, H. Fang, and K. Wang. 2014. Design and control shrinkage behavior of high strength self-consolidating concrete using shrinkage reducing admixture and super-absorbent polymer. Journal of Sustainable Cement-Based Materials, Vol. 3, No. 3–4, pp. 182–190.
Professional, Affiliations, Honors and Awards
- Professional Engineer (P.E.): Civil Engineering, State of Illinois
- Associate Editor of ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering
- Associate Editor of Journal of Sustainable Cement-based Materials
- Editorial Board Member of ASTM Journal of Advances in Civil Engineering Materials
- Editorial Board Member of Journal of ASTM International
- Guest Professor, Southeast University and Jinan University, China, 2016
- Iowa State University Award for Outstanding Achievement in Research, ISU, 2015
- Fellow of American Concrete Institute (since March 2013)
- Charles W. Schafer Faculty Award for “Excellence in Teaching, Research and Service in Civil Construction, and Environmental Engineering,” ISU, 2010 (the second time)
- Outstanding Editorial Board Member, Journal of ASTM International, 2008
- Honorary Professor, School of Civil Engineering, Chongqing Jiaotong University of Technology, China, 2008
- Charles W. Schafer Faculty Award for “Excellence in Teaching, Research and Service in Civil Construction, and Environmental Engineering,” ISU, 2006
- Honorary Professor, School of Civil Engineering, Hefei University of Technology, China, 2006
- Honorary Professor, School of Civil Engineering, Lanzhou Jiaotong University, China, 2003