Dr. Anuj Sharma is a professor in the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering at Iowa State University. Dr. Sharma’s research has been recognized by numerous funding agencies, including the National Science Foundation, Federal Highway Administration, National Institute of Health, several state departments of transportation, and multiple city public works departments. Dr. Sharma has been granted awards of more than $13M, which contribute to fund his research. He has served as principal investigator/co-principal investigator for over 32 research projects over 9 years.
His research uses big data-driven discoveries to help make better short-term (usually automated control) and long-term (policy) decisions. Dr. Sharma instrumented and is currently co-leading the REACTOR Laboratory. The lab is able to ingest multiple streams of real-time data to assist in driving transportation policy decisions. Research efforts at the lab are focused on data ingestion, real-time analytics, batch processing, visualization/front end development, and archiving of numerous data streams.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2008
- MS, Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2004
- BE, Civil Engineering, Regional Engineering College, Rourkela, India, 2001
- Pitt-Des Moines, Inc. Professor, Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2019–present
- Affiliated Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science, Iowa State University, 2019–present
- CEO, ETALYC Inc., 2016–present
- Visiting Faculty, Indian Institute of Technology, 2019–2022
- Armstrong, A., Y. Adu-Gyamfi, S. V. Gursoy, J. Merickel, M. Rizzo, and A. Sharma. 2022. Driver Maneuver Detection and Analysis using Time Series Segmentation and Classification. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part A: Systems.
- Venkatachalapathy, A., C. Hamann, S. Spears, E. Shirtcliff, and A. Sharma. 2022. A Naturalistic Study Assessing the Impact of Daytime Running Lights and Vehicle Passing Events on Cyclist’s Physiological Stress. Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspective.
- Sarkar, S., A. Mukherjee, A. Joshi, C. Hegde, and A. Sharma. 2022. Generative Semantic Domain Adaptation for Perception in Autonomous Driving. Journal Big Data Analytics in Transportation.
- Emtenan, A. M. T., A. Haghighat, M. Shields, J. Shaw, P. Hawley, A. Sharma, and C. M. Day. 2022. Development of Right-Turn-on-Red Volume Estimation Models for the Highway Capacity Manual. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board.
- Barnwal, A., P. Chakraborty, A. Sharma, L. Riera-Garcia, K. Ozcan, O. Davami, S. Sarkar, M. Rizzo, and J. Merickel. 2022. Sugar and Stops in Drivers with Insulin-Dependent Type 1 Diabetes. Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 173.
- Poddar, S., P. Chakraborty, A. Sharma, S. Knickerbocker, and N. Hawkins. 2022. Massively Parallelizable Approach for Evaluating Signalized Arterial Performance Using Probe-based data. Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Arabi, S., A. Sharma, M. Reyes, C. Hamann, and C. Peek-Asa. 2022. Farm Vehicle Following Distance Estimation Using Deep Learning and Monocular Camera Images. Sensors, Vol. 22, No. 7, 2736 pp.
- Venkatachalapathy, A., A. Sharma, and L. D. Vanajakshi. 2022. A Naturalistic Data-Driven Study of Indian Traffic Conditions and Driver’s Physiological Stress. Transportation in Developing Economies, Vol. 8, No. 23.
- Zarindast, A., S. Poddar, and A. Sharma. 2022. A data-driven method for congestion identification and classification. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part A: Systems, Vol. 148, No. 4.
Professional Affiliations and Service
- Current Reviewer for Analytic Methods in Accident Research, Accident Analysis and Prevention, Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Transportation Research Part F, Journal of Transportation Safety and Security, Transportation in Developing Economies, Transportation Research Record, Journal of Transportation Engineering, Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, and Traffic Injury and Prevention
- Voting Member, TRB Traffic Signal Systems Committee, 2014–present
- Voting Member, TRB Traffic Signal Systems Education Sub-committee, 2014-present
- Web Administrator, TRB Traffic Signal System’s Committee, 2012–present