Dr. Guillermo Basulto-Elias is a research scientist at the Institute for Transportation at Iowa State University. He has experience in statistical computing, data visualization, generalized linear mixed effects models, nonparametric statistics, machine learning, and stochastic processes.
In recent years, he has worked on nonparametric models of data with measurement error and forensic statistics, which include footwear analysis, models for speaker recognition, and design and supervision of shoe prints forensic database. More recently, he has worked on software development for generating reports of crashes, and statistical models for traffic data, including linear mixed effects models, hierarchical Bayesian models, and functional data analysis.
- PhD, Statistics, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2016
- MS, Probability and Statistics, Center for Research in Mathematics (CIMAT), University of Guanajuato, Guanajuato, Mexico, 2011
- BS, Mathematics, University of Guanajuato, Guanajuato, Mexico, 2009
- Research Scientist, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2019–present
- Postdoctoral appointment, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2019–2019
- Postdoctoral appointment, Center for Statistics and Applications in Forensic Evidence, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2016–2018
- Graduate Assistant, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2011–2016
- Hallmark, S., G. Basulto-Elias, and J. Shaw. 2021. Systematic Reviews: Roadside Barriers. The World Bank, Washington, DC.
- Hallmark, S., G. Basulto-Elias, N. Oneyear, O. Smadi, S. Chrysler, and G. Ullman. 2021. Evaluation of Work Zone Safety Using the SHRP2 Naturalistic Driving Study Data–Volume 1 Toolbox of Work Zone Countermeasures. Minnesota Department of Transportation, St. Paul, MN.
- Basulto-Elias, G., A. Carriquiry, K. De Brabanter, and D. Nordman. 2020. Bivariate kernel deconvolution with panel data. Sankhya B: The Indian Journal of Statistics.
- Goswamy, A., S. Hallmark, G. Basulto-Elias, and M. Pawlovich. 2019. Safety Evaluation of Stop-Sign Mounted Beacons—A Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of Transportation Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 1.
- Basulto-Elias, G., A. Carriquiry, K. De Brabanter, and D. Nordman. 2017. “fourierin”: An R package to compute Fourier integrals. The R Journal, Vol. 9, No. 2.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Awards
- President, American Statistical Association, Iowa Chapter, IA, 2019–2020
- Member of winning team of the 2014 Data Mining Cup organized by Prudsys AG, 2014
- Second runner-up of Sotero Prieto Award to the best undergraduate thesis in Mathematics of Mexico, given by the Mexican Mathematical Society, 2010
- Third place by Francisco Aranda Award to the best undergraduate thesis in Statistics of Mexico, given by the Mexican Statistics Association, 2010