Dr. Smadi has over 25 years of experience in the area of infrastructure and asset management ranging from pavements, bridges, safety, pavement marking, signs and other infrastructure assets. He is currently serving as PI for several research projects for the Iowa Department of Transportation, the Iowa Highway Research Board, the federally funded Midwest Transportation Center, National Cooperative Highway Research Program, Second Highway Research Program (SHRP2), and Federal Highway Administration dealing with roadway data, safety, and asset management.
- PhD, Transportation Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2000
- MS, Transportation Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 1994
- BS, Civil Engineering, Yarmouk University, Jordan, 1987
- Director, CTRE, Nov. 2016–present
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, July 2014–present
- Director, Roadway Infrastructure Management and Operations Systems (RIMOS) program, Center for Transportation Research and Education, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, June 2010–present
- Research Scientist, Center for Transportation Research and Education, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, May 1994–present
Selected Research Projects
- “Planning, Implementation, and Operation of the Iowa Pavement Management Program,” Iowa DOT, 1996–present
- “Planning, Implementation, and Operation of the Iowa DOT Bridge Management System”, Iowa DOT, 2004–present
- “Pavement Management Performance Modeling: Evaluating the Existing PCI Equations,” Iowa DOT, 2014
- Developing/Teaching FHWA Data Integration Workshop (sub to Battelle), FHWA
- Developing/Teaching NHI Asset Management workshops (sub to ApTech)
- “SHRP2 S04A Roadway Information Database Development and Technical Coordination and Quality Assurance of the Mobile Data Collection Project (S04B),” SHRP2
- “Implementation and Operation of the Iowa DOT Pavement Management Optimization Model,” Iowa DOT, 2000–present
- “Automated Pavement Condition Data: Analysis, Feasibility, and Data Integration.” Prepared for the FHWA and Iowa DOT, February 2005
- Development of a monograph on the “Science of Transportation Asset Management,” in partnership with the Office of Asset Management, Federal Highway Administration
- Pavement Optimization System for the Iowa Department of Transportation, Center for Transportation Research and Education, Iowa Department of Transportation
- Zimmerman, Katie and Omar Smadi. Investigating the Consistency in HPMS and Pavement Management Reporting. Proceedings of the 2014 TRB Annual Meeting (subsequent publication in TRR summer 2014).
- Neal Hawkins and Omar Smadi. 2013. Use of Transportation Asset Management Principles in State Highway Agencies. NCHRP Synthesis 439, Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC.
- Sughwan, Kim, Halil Ceylan, Kasthurirangan Gopalakrishnan, and Omar Smadi. 2010. Use of Pavement Management Information System for Verification of Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Guide Performance Predictions. TRR: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2153, pp. 30–39.
- Zhang, Lixin and Omar Smadi. 2009. What is Missing in Quality Control of Contracted Pavement Distress Data Collection? (CD-ROM). Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, January 2009.
- Smadi, Omar and Thomas Van. 2008. Using Structural Evaluation for Pavement Management. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Managing Pavement Assets, Calgary, Canada, June 2008.
- Smadi, Omar. 2007. Communicating the Results of Integrated Asset Management: Experiences in the Iowa Department of Transportation. Infrastructure Reporting and Asset Management: Best Practices and Opportunities, ASCE Special Publication, Spring 2007.
- Smadi, Omar and Waddah Akili. 2006. Infrastructure Asset Management Education: Active Learning and Engagement-Based Practices. TRR: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 1957, pp. 16–18.
- Egemen Teomete+, Viren R Amin, Halil Ceylan, Omar Smadi. 2005. Digital image processing for pavement distress analyses. Proceedings of the 2003 Mid-Continent Transportation Symposium, Ames, IA, August 2005.
- Smadi, Omar. 2004. Quantifying the Benefits of Pavement Management. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Managing Pavements, Brisbane, Australia, October 2004.
- Smadi, Omar. 2004. Pavement Management and Information Technology: Remote Sensing, GIS, and GPS. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Managing Pavements, Brisbane, Australia, October 2004.
- Smadi, Omar. 2000. Integrating Pavement and Maintenance Management Systems. Proceedings of the 1st European Pavement Management Conference, Budapest, Hungary, September 2000.
- Smadi, Omar. 2001. Knowledge Based Pavement Management Optimization. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Managing Pavements, Seattle, WA, September 2001.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Service
- Transportation Research Board (TRB)
- Member, TRB Committee AFD20 – Pavement Monitoring and Evaluation
- Member, TRB Committee ABC40 – Asset Management
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Member, ASCE Infrastructure Management Committee
- Member, ASCE Advanced Technology Committee
- Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE)
- Friend, AAHSTO Asset Management Subcommittee
- Member of the FHWA Asset Management ETG
- International Road Federation (IRF)
- Executive Board Member
- Chair: Asset Management Committee
- Member of the Infrastructure Asset Management Work Group, World Road Association (PIARC)